Self-Guided Field Trips
Field trips are considered accredited public, private or charter Pre-K-12th grade schools, home school assistance programs organized through a school district, state-licensed daycare centers or day camps.
First hand experiences like getting nose to nose with a tiger, crawling through tunnels like a prairie dogs and listening to the lions roar will spark a world of wonderment!
Don’t forget to add a Show and Tell Education Program to enhance your field trip! One of our educators will bring 4 animal friends for a special 30 minute presentation just for your group. Guest will get an up close introduction to some exotic zoo friends and get to touch most of all of the animals at the presentation. The cost of Show and Tells are $45.00 for up to 50 people.
Please read the following information carefully. To make a reservation, please click the online reservation link at the bottom of the page.
Field trips are available year-round, Monday – Friday for eligible groups.
Advanced registration is required for discounted pricing.
Admission hours are: May-September 9AM-5PM, October-April 10AM-4PM
- Students: $3.00
- 1 teacher per classroom: Free
- Additional adults: $9.00
- Students: $4.00
- 1 teacher per classroom: Free
- Additional adults: $9.00
- Students: $5.00
- 1 adult per 10 students: Free
- Additional adults: $9.00
Bus drivers with valid identification receive free admission.
Special needs classrooms please call 515-974-2588 for pricing and reservations.
Field Trip Eligibility
To be eligible for field trip rates a group must:
- Be an accredited public, private or charter Pre-K-12th grade school, home school assistance program organized through a school district, state-licensed daycare center or day camp. If you are not eligible for field trip rates you may still qualify for group rates, click here to learn more
- Make a reservation at least 2 weeks in advance; groups without an email-confirmed reservation that includes a barcoded confirmation sheet will not receive field trip rates.
- 1 adult chaperone is required for every 10 children.
- Chaperones must accompany children at all times. Children are not allowed in the gift shop without an adult in accompaniment.
- Younger siblings who are not a part of a field trip group are subject to general admission rates
Payment is due at time of admission. Field trips are required to pay with one method of payment, either: cash, check, credit card or purchase order. A copy of the purchase order must be presented at check-in.
If you have additional adult chaperones you do not want included on your school bill, their payment must be collected and paid for in one separate transaction. Any adults not included in this transaction will not receive the discounted rate and be charged full admission pricing.
Zoo Member Policy
Zoo memberships are not valid for group visits. Memberships were designed for an individual, couple or family experience and not built for group usage. Because we serve a large volume of groups each year, it is necessary to serve groups efficiently in order to provide good customer service for all visitors.
Rescheduling, Cancellations, And Refunds
- If you need to cancel or reschedule your field trip please do so as soon as possible by calling 515-974-2588
- All sales are final. We require lead chaperones to confirm and sign off on children and adult numbers at check-in of each visit. Because of this, no refunds will be honored.
Arriving At The Zoo
- Buses can pull up to the Bus Loading Zone in front of the main entrance to unload students and then proceed to the gravel overflow parking lot to park. Buses are not allowed to park in the main parking lots at any time.
- Groups arriving in May: Please wait on your bus for a Zoo staff member to direct your group to unload and go over general rules of the Zoo
- The lead teacher/chaperone will enter through the Member Entrance and proceed to the Member Counter to check-in your group. Please print and bring with you a copy of your barcoded confirmation letter emailed to you after your reservation has been confirmed.
- Outside food and beverages, except water, are not allowed inside the Zoo. If you wish to eat lunch in one of our picnic areas located outside the Zoo entrance they are available on a first come first serve basis. Chaperones require a hand stamp in order to re-enter. We do not provide space to store lunches. Lunches must be stored on your bus.
- If your group encounters an emergency please contact a Zoo employee. Instruct your students to look for a uniformed Zoo employee if they get separated from their group.
- We recommend chaperones and children wear some kind of group identifier (example same color of t-shirt, bracelets or name tags with a teacher’s phone number, etc.). In the event of a lost child, group identifiers make it much easier to reunite the child with their group.
Show And Tell Education Program
Show and Tells are private programs for up to 50 people. If your group has more than 50 people, multiple programs are required. Show and Tell Education Programs are unavailable for Friday, April 21st. Instead, join us as we Party for the Planet. We will be offering several activities for school groups throughout the Zoo in celebration of Earth Day!
- Cost is $45.00 per program
- Number of people includes children and adults
- Programs must be scheduled 2 weeks prior to your visit
- Program times are 9:45 (May-Sept), 10:30, 11:15, 1:00 and 1:45 and are on a first come first serve basis
- If your group requires more than one program they will be held in back to back time slots
- The location of your program will be determined at check-in the day of your visit
- We cannot take requests for specific animals. Program topics can be requested such as adaptations, habitats, etc.
Outside food and beverages, except water, are not allowed inside the zoo.
- Picnic areas located outside the zoo entrance are available on a first come first serve basis.
- Chaperones will require a hand stamp in order to re-enter.
- We do not provide space to store lunches. Lunches must be stored on your bus.
- Group meals are available April-September from Blank Park Zoo’s Safari Grill
- Group meals must be ordered at least 2 weeks prior to visit
- Order totals will be added to your group reservation and payment will be made with one transaction at admissions the day of your visit
- Additional meals required last minute must be ordered at the Safari Grill and paid for with cash or credit card.
- For pricing, menu options and to order please fill out this form
Blank Park Zoo’s Wild Things Gift Shop offers field trips the opportunity to order souvenir bags for their students.
- Souvenirs in bag vary based on price
- We prefer orders are made in advance but they can be made the day of your visit
- Payment for souvenir bags must be made separately from your admission payment with cash, check or credit card
- For pricing and to order please fill out this form
Additional Field Trip Add-ons*
Blank Park Zoo offers several different ride and feed experiences during certain times of the year that can be added to your visit. These experiences are not discounted for field trips but tickets can be pre-ordered and paid for at admissions with your admissions payment.
- Available April – October:
- Train rides: $2.00**
- Carousel rides: $2.00
- Kids’ Kingdom feed cups (either goat or fish food): $1.00
- Available Memorial Day – Labor Day:
- Giraffe feeding: $2.00***
- Ostrich feeding: $1.00***
- Parakeet feeding: $2.00
- Camel rides: $5.00
- Face painting: $5.00 for cheek painting/$7.00 for full face
*All activities are weather dependent
**Children are not allowed to ride the train without an adult chaperone.
***Giraffe and Ostrich feedings are at scheduled times, please check your Blank Park Zoo map for scheduled times
General Zoo Rules
The following rules are required for the safety of your group and the safety of our animals, staff and facilities.
- Chaperones must accompany children at all times in a ratio of 1:10
- No children are allowed in the gift shop unaccompanied
- Remain on designated pathways, walking not running
- Refrain from feeding or touching any animal unless instructed by a Blank Park Zoo staff member
- No outside food or beverage, except water, may be brought inside Zoo grounds
- Do not throw any item into an exhibit
- No smoking, vaping or other tobacco use is allow inside Zoo grounds
- Buses are not allowed to park in main parking lots. After unloading, buses must park in gravel overflow parking.
Click here to fill out a Field Trip reservation online.
Click here to download a faxable Field Trip reservation form.
Click here to download a group meal order form.
Click here to download a souvenir bag order form.