Hours: 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. Tickets: Adults $11, Child (3-12 yrs) $6
The Blank Park Zoo is a respected leader in animal care, education, and conservation of exotic wildlife. The zoo is the only AZA accredited zoo in the state of Iowa.
Applications will only be accepted for available positions. Please make note on application which position you are applying.
The Blank Park Zoo is an equal opportunity employer.
Click here for Internship Opportunities.
Click here for Full-Time Opportunities.
Click here for Seasonal Opportunities.
There are currently no full-time openings available
Part-Time Development Coordinator
Blank Park Zoo is looking for a responsible, energetic and highly motivated individual to assist the Development Department in database, giving programs, events and development work, including coordinating and processing memberships and gifts, assisting with donor programs, development events and other administrative duties. This is a part-time position reporting to the Annual Fund Manager.
Assist with tasks related to membership and development, including but not limited to: database management, communicating by email and phone with members and donors, gift processing and acknowledgement, event support, giving program management and other administrative duties.
- Assist in processing donations and membership sales and processing
- Maintain giving programs such as adopt and animal and behind the scenes tours
- Answering membership and development phones
- Facilitate and coordinate mailings to Zoo members and donors
- Work closely with Database Coordinator to keep database and gift tracking up-to-date
- Assist in the maintenance of both electronic and hard-copy donor files
- Assist with fundraising event tracking and planning
- Perform a number of administrative duties, from assembling mailings to data entry
- Work with all members of the Development Department in varying capacities
- Other duties as needed
Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred; equivalent experience acceptable
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Core computer skills in word processing, spreadsheets and electronic communications required
- Ability to work on all types of tasks from administrative to project management
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Database experience preferred
- Must be able to operate independently, exercise initiative and demonstrate capacity for detail
- Ability to handle multiple assignments and meet deadlines
- Strong contributor in team environments
- Knowledge of basic fundraising strategies preferred
- Flexible hours as needed, approximately 3-4 days or 20 hours per week
- Ability to interact with donors and friends of the Zoo in a professional, engaging manner
- Possession of a valid IA drivers license
- Proof of current vehicle insurance
- Capable of lifting 50 pounds
Please submit cover letter and resume to:
Azure Christensen, Development Director
Blank Park Zoo, 7401 SW 9th Street, Des Moines, IA 50315
Guest Service Associate
The Blank Park is seeking friendly, customer-oriented individuals to work in the guest service department. Individuals work a rotating and varied shift and perform a variety of assignments as related to all guest service operations. Essential functions and
• Work in the entire guest service department including but not limited to: Admissions, Attractions, Rides and Retail
- Admissions – Cashier, Assist guests with problems
- Attractions – Cashier, Attendant to help facilitate animal interactions with the giraffe, parakeet feeding, Kids Kingdom area and ostrich.
- Retail – Cashier, Stock as directed
• Assist guests with questions, problems, or emergencies
• Balance cash drawers
• Other duties as assigned.
Applicants must be 16 years or older. Preference will be given to candidates with cash handling experience, an out-going friendly attitude and experience in a customer service setting. Weekend shifts are required. Shifts are available beginning April and ending in October.
Please complete a Blank Park Zoo application either online or at the zoo during regular business hours.
Birthday Party Host
The Blank Park Zoo is seeking a friendly, out-going and child-oriented individual to host birthday parties at the zoo.
• Preparing party space prior to arrival of party and clean-up after party
• Greet and assist party and guests
• Conduct education program that is part of the party package
• Tour party through the zoo as needed
• Collect final payment
Applicants must be 18 years or older and preference will be given to candidates that are out-going and have experience with children. The job requires lifting 50 pounds and parties are held on weekends. Position begins in May and has the opportunity to continue weekend hours through the winter.
Please complete a Blank Park Zoo job application on the website or at the zoo during regular business hours.
There are currently no internship opportunities available