Hours: 10 a.m. - 4 p.m., Admission: $11 Adults, $6 Child
The Blank Park Zoo is a respected leader in animal care, education, and conservation of exotic wildlife. The zoo is the only AZA accredited zoo in the state of Iowa.
Applications will only be accepted for available positions. Please make note on application which position you are applying.
The Blank Park Zoo is an equal opportunity employer.
Click here for Internship Opportunities.
Click here for Full-Time Opportunities.
Click here for Seasonal Opportunities.
There are currently no full-time openings available.
Part-time Large Mammal Animal Keeper
Description, Essential Duties & Responsibilities
The Blank Park Zoo is looking for an experienced, part time/permanent (3 days per week) large mammal animal keeper with a wide variety of skills. Candidate must have great communication skills both verbal and written. The large Mammal team cares for bactrian camels, giraffe, rhino, and other hoofstock. We are looking for candidates that have a solid animal husbandry background, public interaction, enrichment, and training experience. Keeper must be willing to assist with minor up keep of each building, exhibit, and develop a good working relationship with maintenance, vet, and behavior training staff.
The animal keeper must be able to work with and collaborate with supervisor to achieve common husbandry expectations. Animal keeper will need to assist with and follow veterinary treatments and instructions. Normal duties will also include day to day animal husbandry, documenting information in a daily report regarding the day’s events, while working with fellow keepers to meet goals set by the supervisor.
Education & Experience
Candidate should have 4 year college degree and experience in the zoo field. Experience along with a college degree can be interchangeable at a rate of 1 year of college to 1 year of experience. Animal keepers must be able to use a computer efficiently. Previous expereicne with exotic ungulates in an AZA accredited facility preferred. A current driver’s license is needed to be employed and if chosen for a position we will do a back ground check.
The candidate must be able to lift 50 lbs, bend, and twist and must be able to work in all types of weather.
Interested applicants should respond with a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cleans and restocks restrooms and checks them regularly throughout the day.
- Empties all trash containers daily and as needed.
- Cleans all litter on Zoo grounds, parking lot, and park property.
- Assists with set-up for events, banquets, and rentals.
- Cleans floors, windows, and garbage in lobby, rental spaces, and other public places.
- Empties trash and recycle containers in the office building.
- Assists with Zoo’s recycling program.
- Maintains and clean and safe atmosphere for guests.
- Orders product and stocks vending machines.
- Other duties as assigned
Education & Experience
- Great customer service and communication skills
- Attention to detail
- Neat and organized
Knowledge and Abilities
- Ability to communicate effectively with others
- Able to work weekends, holidays, special events, and evenings.
- Proven reliability.
- Ability to pass background check.
- Ability to lift and carry 50 pounds.
Please send an application by email or mail:
Des Moines, IA 50315
- Responsible for all aspects of zoo grounds maintenance: mowing, trimming, turf maintenance (including fertilization and weed control), watering, edging and leaf removal.
- Specific duties include daily watering, trimming, pruning, planting / transplanting and daily housekeeping.
- Responsible for all snow removal on zoo grounds(on call). This includes maintaining safety of zoo grounds, parking lots and drives during inclement weather.
- Operation of grounds maintenance equipment and related machinery.
- Previous work experience in horticulture field preferred.
- Ability to handle a flexible workload with a variety of assignments.
- Must be able to operate independently, exercise initiative, and demonstrate capacity for detail and follow-up.
- Must be able to maintain work hours that will serve the needs of the Foundation (up to 40 hours in the summer and fall). Winter hours will vary based on weather and position will be on call.
Des Moines, IA 50315
There are currently no internship opportunities available.