Why reduce single-use plastic usage?
- We produce roughly 300 million tons of plastic each year and half of it is single-use! World-wide only 10-13% of plastic items are recycled.
- By reducing single-use plastics, we are greatly reducing the numbers of items that wind up in landfills. In addition to reduction of waste, demand for and production of plastic products will decrease.
- Single-use plastics are harmful to wildlife and their habitats. Straws are among the ten most commonly found items in waterways and oceans.
- But can’t plastic be recycled? Yes and no. Check with your local waste management company to see what types of plastics are accepted and what are not.
- Our actions here in Iowa have a direct impact on the global environment.