Why reduce plastic straw usage?
- Single-use plastics, like straws, cannot be recycled and take a long time to breakdown.
- Straws are among the ten most commonly found items in waterways and oceans.
- They are harmful to wildlife and their habitats.
- Our actions here in Iowa have a direct impact on the global environment.
- Straws create pollution at every stage of their existence from oil drilling, manufacturing, shipping and distribution.
- According to EcoCycle, in the United States 500 million straws are used EVERY day. That number would fill over 127 school buses. http://www.ecocycle.org/bestrawfree/faqs