- Date Posted
July 28, 2021
Reports To: CFO
PURPOSE OF POSITION
This position is under the direct supervision of the CFO and is responsible for performing a variety of tasks related to processing and paying zoo invoices and accounting for inventory, supplies, and budget comparisons.
The following duties are essential to this position. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Performs the daily processing and recording of accounts payable transactions and ensures that all invoices are paid on time and accurately and in accordance with Finance policies and procedures. Maintains paid and unpaid invoice files.
- Processes and records employee credit card receipts and reconciles credit card statements monthly. Orders new credit cards when needed, manage credit limits, and resolves fraud issues.
- Properly records and files W-9’s throughout the year and prepares 1099’s annually.
- Calculates various revenue sharing items related to various zoo experiences and events.
- Performs office functions such as filing, copying, answering phones and other tasks as required.
- Prepares monthly reconciliations of disbursement related accounts and expense analysis including the staff uniform allowance, prepaid account, inventory, construction projects, and restricted funds, and other accounts as needed.
- Prepares journal entries as needed and assists staff with applying proper general ledger codes.
- Reconciles monthly various supply inventories, e.g. food and beverages in various retail locations throughout the Zoo, animal feed, and other items as needed.
- Assists with drawer distribution/receiving in the cash room as needed.
- Assists with month end closing.
- Helps prepare various audit schedules for the annual audit.
- Helps prepare and process budget information for the annual budget.
- Other duties as assigned.
Supervision of volunteers as needed.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to perform accounts payable duties.
- Ability to use spreadsheets to reconcile account balances and maintain budget comparisons.
- Ability to research, reconcile, and resolve discrepancies.
- Ability to communicate effectively with other employees, volunteers, and zoo guests.
- Must be honesty and have integrity.
- Must maintain confidentiality with Zoo information.
- Must be able to maintain work hours that will serve the needs of the Blank Park Zoo.
- Employment with the Zoo is the employee’s primary responsibility.
- Resourceful - Understanding of, or has the ability to, research all applicable topics as they relate to accounts payable and other accounting tasks.
- Flexible - Ability to handle a flexible workload with a variety of assignments while also maintaining composure in an environment that can be stressful.
- Independent - Must be able to operate independently, exercise initiative, and demonstrate capacity for detail and follow-up.
- Positive - Must be a positive, effective team member and be able to establish professional working relationships.
- Clear communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Customer–oriented – Must be able to exercise professional customer service skills at all times, with many different types of people and all situations.
- Innovative - Ability to propose solutions to areas of concern as related to accounts payable and other accounting tasks.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Associate's degree (A. A.) or Bachelor’s degree (B. A.) in accounting and two or more years of related experience and/or training preferred, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, to staff and to visitors of all ages.
A working knowledge of general ledger, database, and email applications. QuickBooks, Donor Perfect and Centaman is preferred. Knowledge of Excel and Word as it relates to accounting functions is required.
None at this time.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to successfully perform the essential functions.
- Standing – Approximately 1/8 of on-the-job time.
- Walking – Approximately 1/4 of on-the-job time within buildings and throughout the zoo.
- Sitting – Approximately 3/4 of on-the-job time.
- Driving – None at this time.
- Use of hands to lift or handle – Approximately between than 1/2 and 2/3 of on-the-job time.
- Reaching with hands and arms – Approximately between 1/3 and 2/3 of on-the-job time.
- Climbing or balancing – Approximately less than 1/8 of on-the-job time.
- Stooping, kneeling, crouching or crawling – Approximately less than 1/8 of on-the-job time.
- Talking or hearing – Approximately most of on-the-job time.
- Tasting or smelling – None at this time.
- Weight lifted/Force exerted – Ability to bend, twist, lift up to 30 pounds.
- Vision – Close vision, distant vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Ability to function in all types of weather including extreme heat and cold. Some of the job involves being outside and walking on uneven surfaces.