- Date Posted
September 1, 2021
Reports To: Education Programs Manager
Status: Non Exempt
PURPOSE OF POSITION
Under the direction of the Education Programs Manager, this position will provide support for the day-to-day operation of the Education Department by answering department calls and emails in a prompt and courteous manner, maintaining registration for classes and camps, scheduling programs and staff, ordering and printing materials, data entry and other administrative functions.
This is a permanent, full time position. Employees must be available to work Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm, occasional weekends may be required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The following duties are essential to this position. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Take calls and answer basic questions related to the Education Department or forward calls to the appropriate individual
- Monitor department email accounts, responding to or forwarding questions and comments as appropriate
- Be responsible for all aspects of class and camp registration, including answering questions, issuing refunds, pulling rosters and other responsibilities
- Schedule and assign staff to facilitate programs
- Enter data into Excel or other programs to support evaluation of programs or guest satisfaction
- Write, edit education program promotional materials, assist with team communications
- Make copies, assemble binders/mailings and coordinate program materials
- Purchase supplies, materials, uniforms and other items online and/or in-store
- Process receipts and invoices
- Maintain department databases and files as needed
- Coordinate changes to the department website
- Maintain confidentiality and discretion, demonstrate initiative and anticipate advance planning
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Warm, positive, friendly and service-oriented
- Impeccable organizational skills, attention to detail, high level of accuracy
- Has a growth mindset and desire to be a lifelong learner
- Able to handle a flexible workload and variety of assignments
- Must be able to maintain work hours that will serve the needs of Blank Park Zoo
- Employment with the Zoo is the employee’s primary responsibility
- Ability to act calmly and professionally in all situations such as emergencies and guest interactions
- Resourceful – Understanding of, or has the ability to research all applicable topics as they relate to modern zoological management, operations of an attraction and customer service.
- Flexible – Ability to handle a flexible workload with a variety of assignments while also maintaining composure in an environment that can be stressful.
- Independent – Must be able to operate independently, exercise initiative and demonstrate capacity for detail and follow-up.
- Positive – Must be a positive, effective team member and be able to establish professional working relationships to grow and develop team members. Must know and practice SWEET leadership values.
- Organized – Organizational skills, attention to detail, high level of accuracy
- Clear communication skills, both verbal and written
- Customer-oriented – Must be able to exercise professional customer service skills at all times, with many different types of people and all situations.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
High School Diploma or GED
One to three years of experience in an administrative role.
Candidates should be able to effectively communicate with visitors including children and adults, volunteers and staff.
Bilingual applicants are preferred.
Proficient skills with Microsoft Office and Google Platform
Experience with POS/reporting software preferred but not required.
Valid photo identification
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to successfully perform the essential functions.
- Standing or walking – Approximately less than 1/3 of on-the-job time
- Sitting – Approximately greater than 2/3 of on-the-job time
- Use of hands for typing – Approximately greater than 2/3 of on-the-job time
- Stooping, kneeling, crouching or crawling – Approximately less than 1/3 of on-the-job time.
- Talking or hearing – Approximately greater than 2/3 of on-the-job time
- Weight lifted/Force exerted – Ability to bend, twist, lift >25 pounds, etc.
Blank Park Zoo is open year-round, this position must have the ability to function in all types of weather including extreme heat and cold.