- Date Posted
July 2, 2021
Supervisor: Director of Events
Dates of Employment: August-December
Blank Park Zoo is looking for a reliable, enthusiastic, self-starter who is highly motivated to assist with event planning and execution. The Part-Time Special Events Intern is responsible for providing direct support to the events team for 2021 fall season. The individual will work in conjunction with the events team to assist with the logistical planning, coordination and implementation of public and private events at the Zoo.
The following duties are essential to this position. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Assist in fundraising, planning and execution of special events such as Walk to Save Animals, Night Eyes, Halloween Zoo Brew, Holiday Zoo Brew and other holiday events
- Be an on-site contact for rental groups, including but not limited to weddings, company outings and elementary family nights
- Assist with setup and tear down of events and rentals
- Ability to work independently and manage multiple tasks and clients
- Maintain a strong relationship and good communication with the Zoo’s staff, volunteers, and vendors
- Additional tasks as assigned by the supervisor/director of department
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to work independently and manage multiple accounts
- Ability to work well with all staff, volunteers and clients
- Proven reliability and organizational skills
- Must be able and willing to work outside a standard work week, including nights and weekends, as needed
- Ability to handle a flexible workload and schedule
- Excellent problem-solving abilities – ability to respond and dissolve issues in real-time
- Flexible - Ability to handle a flexible workload with a variety of assignments
- Independent - Must be able to operate independently, exercise initiative, and demonstrate capacity for detail and follow-up
- Positive - Must be a positive, effective team member and be able to establish professional working relationships.
- Clear communication skills, both verbal and written
- Critical thinking – Ability to make decisions while under pressure or solve complex problems that arise on a daily basis
- Customer-Oriented – Must be able to exercise professional customer service skills at all times, with many different types of people and all situations
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Must be currently enrolled in, or graduated from, an accredited college or university, with major course work in public relations, communications, sales, event management, or related field.
Ability to communicate effectively to all ages of clients, visitors and staff, both verbally and written
Excellent computer business skills required
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to bend, twist, lift 50 pounds
- Ability to walk on uneven surfaces such as hills, snow, ice, grass, mud, etc.
- Ability to be outside in a variety of weather conditions, including heat and cold
Ability to function in all types of weather including heat and cold. A large part of the job involves being outside.